[squeak-dev] Re: Font rendering

Steve Wart steve.wart at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 17:31:59 UTC 2009

Bert wrote
> By bundling fonts, sure. But trying to convince Linux package maintainers
> that this is a necessity ... that's going to be hard.
[..snip...]

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 8:46 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder, why we should care bundling TT fonts with squeak?

It seems that it should be possible to separate identification and loading
of fonts (could be platform-dependent) from the rendering of fonts (ideally
not platform-dependent).

It would be nice instead of worrying about how Microsoft does it or Apple
does it to instead use a platform-independent hardware abstraction like
OpenGL. I know this won't work on some platforms but it will work on most,
and GLES is looking to be well-supported on future low-power devices. This
might also be an elegant way to improve the somewhat uncomfortable
relationship between OpenGL worlds and the rest of the Squeak environment.