[squeak-dev] Re: a small issue with updating the trunk

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Aug 1 03:29:49 UTC 2009

Michael Haupt wrote:
> could you please briefly fill me in about what a configuration map is?
> I have only ever used Monticello with single packages, and agree that
> this is a gap in my knowledge. :-) Is it some kind of "milestone" with
> a set of concrete versions for all packages?

That is exactly right. For example,
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/update-ar.1.mcm contains this:

repository ('http://source.squeak.org/trunk')
dependency ('39Deprecated' '39Deprecated-md.11'
'861c35c4-aaa0-11da-9ffe-000d933a223c')
dependency ('Balloon' 'Balloon-ar.13'
'bdaaa697-27c2-4049-a7e8-13e44a41f929')
dependency ('Collections' 'Collections-edc.91'
'7ade7e28-a6ba-4a06-97b7-da8f9623686a')
... etc ...

> As for the issue with updateFromRepositories... I haven't looked at
> the code yet, but wouldn't it be possible as well to check for the
> version (the image knows about installed versions, right?) and avoid
> downloading it if it is already there?

I was just looking at this and it was a bit more tricky. The method
#updateFromRepositories can be used in situations where the package
isn't even in the image and so the only way to obtain the information
then is to download it. But I've just added a little optimization that
will simply check if the version that we are trying to download is
already present in the image and if so, use that instead. This works
fine for the update process and doesn't affect the other uses.

Cheers,
   - Andreas