[squeak-dev] Text Editors

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sat Aug 1 12:43:00 UTC 2009

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>> Biggest news is a lot of cleanup in the Text system. Gone are the
>> ugly TextConstants pool and the old Paragraph class. TextStyle lost
>> over half its instance variables and over 80% of its methods. I also
>> added a TextEditor to the World menu that is not a Smalltalk
>> Workspace and may be useful especially for end users.
>
> I very much like what you've done with the editors. Is it correct that
> TextEditor is effectively protocol compatible with the old
> TextMorphEditor? If so, what do you think about bringing this into
> Squeak and phase out TextMorphEditor? Would this be doable or do you
> foresee any problems due to other changes that you might have done?
> From what I can see it looks as if this should be possible while
> preserving all the Unicode and m17n-goodness that I don't want to give
> up for Squeak. But boy, I would like to finally cut the Gordian knot
> called ParagraphEditor that ties Morphic and MVC together at the hip ;-)

:)

I think it can be done. I did not change the protocol. At most I might
have removed some methods that are unused on Cuis. I'll try to do it.
I'll file my Editor hierarchy in Squeak, add any missing methods (but
not those of Controller!). Biggest problem is that I'll have to suffer
the pain of the bloat in my mind, and the default font in my eyes :)

If only some brave soul understood that Unicode and m17n should be an
optional package and made it be so...

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich