[squeak-dev] Re: Text Editors

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sun Aug 2 02:18:39 UTC 2009

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>> I think it can be done. I did not change the protocol. At most I
>> might have removed some methods that are unused on Cuis. I'll try to
>> do it. I'll file my Editor hierarchy in Squeak, add any missing
>> methods (but not those of Controller!). Biggest problem is that I'll
>> have to suffer the pain of the bloat in my mind, and the default font
>> in my eyes :)

I guess I was being too optimistic. I honestly tried to do it. First I
tried to file in the Editor classes from Cuis. Unfortunately, they are
differences that make them incompatible, for example in NewParagraph.
Besides, too much methods would be missing. Then I tried the other way.
I cloned the existing TextMorphEditor hierarchy, made the superclass of
my new ParagraphEditor2 to be object, and started cleaning Undeclared
variables, etc. I believe this is the way to do it, because if done
carefully, no methods would be missing and no behavior should be broken
inadvertently. It would take me between 30 and 40 hours to finish it.
I'm sorry, but I can't spend that much time on this.

> Well, help us! You probably have a standing invitation to become
> core-dev in your inbox and if not I can get you one ;-)

I know. Perhaps my anti aliased StrikeFonts could be included in Squeak.
I don't know how to handle the creation of instances. Monticello can
only handle code, right? No live instances or binary (bmp) files?

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich