[squeak-dev] Squeakfest Brasil report

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Aug 3 11:10:23 UTC 2009

Forwarding a message from Marta, member of Squeakland's education
team, who organized an awesome Squeakfest in Porto Alegre last week.

- Bert -

------------------------------

From: "Marta Voelcker" <marta at pensamentodigital.org.br>
Date: 3. August 2009 00:45:30 MESZ
To: <squeakland at squeakland.org>
Subject: [squeakland] Hello from Porto Alegre

Hello,

I would like to thank the Etoys team that came to Porto Alegre and
have joined us at Squeakfest Brasil and World Conference on Computers
in Education www.wcee2009.org

 From July 23 to 25th we had around 300 people attending Sqeuakfest
Brasil at UFRGS Porto Alegre.  The conference was held in an
auditorium for 250 people and 3 rooms ( located near the auditorium)
each room with 20 laptops each. Hands on workshops on these rooms were
always crowded. Colleagues from our local  research group, Teachers
from Uruguay, Kathleen Harness, Kathleen Smith and Avigail Snir ( from
Etoys Illinois) and Randall Caton and children form Luciana de Abreu
School, have conducted hands on workshops. One of the rooms had focus
for developers ( since most attendees were educators), there Yoshiki,
Scott Wallace, Alex Warth, Bert and Rita Freudenberg, plus Gonzalo
Sabala ( Argentina) and Jecel ( Brasil) conducted activities for
developers or activities related to robotics.

On the main room there was several kinds of presentations, from a PhD
Thesis (Edson Lindner) to high school student sharing their experiences.
Local reports like Sdenka Salas Pilco from Peru, and many friends from
Uruguay where great! Lea Fagundes pleased us with a great presentation
“Why powerful ideas?” and ended the conference with many plans to
disseminate the one to one modality among the more than 20
municipalities attending the conference.

The Squeakfest had a great and  friendly atmosphere. This was the
first time that I organized a conference like this, I could be
nervous, but I had the constant feeling that I was among friends!
I look forward to lead the organization of  the second Squeakfest
Brasil for July 2010!

 From July 27th to 31st I, Tim, Rita, Bert, Scott, Yoshiki, Alex
Warth, Kathleen Harness, Kathleen Smith, Avigail Snir attended WCCE in
Bento Gonçalves, a city near Porto Alegre. There, we have interacted
with many other researchers and students working in different areas on
ICT for Education. We  conducted a Workshop and a Panel about Squeak
Etoys.

Well,  two weeks ago few people in Brasil new about squeak etoys.
  with more than 230 participants and many plans for this new local
community, for that and for your friendship and support  I want to say
thank you for all those that came to  Proto Alegre, and for those that
couldn´t come, you can start planning for 2010 J, cause we are
certainly going to   gather again!

Kind regards
  and a I wish you a great Squeakfest in Los Angeles,

Marta