[squeak-dev] Re: [etoys-dev] Installing Etoys and Squeak on Ubuntu 9.04

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Aug 3 19:44:53 UTC 2009

On 03.08.2009, at 21:17, Ricardo Moran wrote:

> Hi, I'm starting to work on Linux, I installed Ubuntu 9.04 and I was
> trying to install Etoys and Squeak. I should tell you: I am a
> Windows user with no experience in Linux.
> I downloaded the EtoysInstaller.deb from squeakland and it worked
> fine. Then I tried to install squeak following the instructions I
> found in http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3616. This also worked, I
> typed squeak in the terminal and Squeak opened.
> Then I tried to use one of my own images in which I usually work (on
> Windows), so I opened it using the command "squeakvm". The image
> worked almost fine, the only problem I found was that the buttons on
> the "Sugar Navigator Flap" wasn't displayed correctly.
> Then I tried to open Etoys using the menu "Applications->Education-
> >eToys" but it didn't open anymore. I went to /usr/share/etoys and
> tried to open the etoys.image with squeakvm and it opened with an
> error: "A primitive has failed" and the display all wrong (I had to
> redraw the screen by clicking on "display mode->scale to fit").
> I tried reinstalling Etoys but the Package Installer tells me that
> "A later version is already installed". I suppose the Etoys image
> needs a different vm but I don't know where to find it.
> What do you think I should do?

To get a working Etoys, uninstall the Etoys distro package, then re-
install the Squeakland one (which contains a VM).

To work with other Squeak images, install the ubuntu squeak packages.
Or get a VM from squeakvm.org, and image/changes/sources from
squeak.org, and use them, if you want more recent ones.

All of these can happily live together, just do not install the Ubuntu
etoys package, which breaks Etoys and is outdated anyway.

- Bert -