[squeak-dev] [Ann] Enhanced StrikeFonts (antiAliasing , subPixel AA)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Mon Aug 3 21:52:47 UTC 2009

Hi Folks,

If you update to the latest trunk, you'll load Graphics-jmv.53,
Morphic-jmv.138 and System-jmv.118. This is the support for anti aliased
StrikeFonts from Cuis. The new 'BitmapDejaVu' font of point size 9 is
set as default. I only included size 9 (reg, italic, bold, bold italic)
to avoid using too much space in the image. If people want, more sizes
can be added.

To do proper antialiasing / subpixel AA _without_ requiring new BitBlt
modes, I use RGBMul BitBlt rule, and a second pass with RGBAdd rule.
Text looks very good, in any combination of font and background colors,
even at lower Display depths and / or glyphs depths.

By default underscore and caret are shown as in standard ASCII. If you
prefer the classic ST-80 left and up arrow, evaluate 'StrikeFont
useLeftArrow'. To go back to the default, evaluate 'StrikeFont
useUnderscore'. I also added 2 preferences #subPixelRenderFonts and
#subPixelRenderColorFonts (both default to true).

Andreas, thanks for all your help!

Comments are welcome.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich