[squeak-dev] Built 64 bit vm for 64 bit compaq ES40 alpha server running gentoo linux.

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Aug 4 22:30:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 04:16:02PM -0500, richard snow wrote:
> I was able to use vmmaker to generate a 64 bit vm for the Alpha.
> However it can't run 32 bit images, so I'm kind
> of stuck. Where could I get an image (3.10-6 hopefully).

Hi,

I expect that you built this with the "64 bit vm?" button enabled
on the VMMaker tool, right? If so, then you are the victim of some
confusing labeling on that screen. What you've got right now is
a 64 bit VM that is capable of running (only) 64 bit images. What
you want is a 64 bit VM that is capable of running (only) 32 bit
images.

Try unchecking the "64 bit vm?" option and generate the sources
that way. You should end up with a 64 bit VM with will work with
a normal 32 bit image.

Dave