[squeak-dev] Built 64 bit vm for 64 bit compaq ES40 alpha server running gentoo linux.

Ian Piumarta piumarta at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 06:40:33 UTC 2009

On Aug 4, 2009, at 9:17 PM, richard snow wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Ian Piumarta<piumarta at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Aug 4, 2009, at 8:15 PM, richard snow wrote:
>>
>>> When I tried to compile his trunk version I get the error
>>> messages in
>>> the attached file over and over again
>>> and the make never seems to finish.
>>
>> I just upgraded my autoconf/libtool and can now reproduce the broken
>> behaviour on i686.  I'm investigating now.

The culprit was libtool 2.2.  Reverting autoconf 2.63 back to 2.50 or
2.13 did not help at all, but rebuilding 'configure' on Mac OS 10.4
with libtool 1.4 resulted in a working script.  I committed that to
the trunk, which will now build (on Linux/alpha too) but woe betide
anyone who tries to rebuild configure on a recent OS!  This is
clearly an untenable situation.  My displacement activity for the
rest of this week may well be the eradication of libtool from the
build system.

Many thanks to Richard for providing me with access to his DEC
Alpha.  I've made a Linux/Alpha binary available at squeakvm.org.

Cheers,
Ian