[squeak-dev] Pulseaudio breaks Linux sound

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Aug 5 10:07:35 UTC 2009

On 05.08.2009, at 08:40, Ian Piumarta wrote:

> My displacement activity for the rest of this week may well be the
> eradication of libtool from the build system.

This doesn't sound like *real* fun ;) Maybe another displacement would
be getting sound to work again. See

http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-214

Both Fedora and Ubuntu now run PulseAudio by default, which
virtualizes our ALSA calls, but incompletely. Here's the PulseAudio
author's summary of the state of affairs (if you're into flame wars,
read the comments):

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/guide-to-sound-apis.html

He has some advice in there for how to get low-latency sound output.

- Bert -