[squeak-dev] Re: [Ann] Enhanced StrikeFonts (antiAliasing, subPixel AA)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Wed Aug 5 16:17:25 UTC 2009

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Juan,
>
> the new StrikeFonts look nicely crisp, but the letter spacing seems to
> be off. Compare this new to old rendering:
>
> (image snipped)
>

> Can this be made more homogenous? The space after the "r" seems to be
> too large, and the sequence "lit" looks very uneven compared to the
> right, older shot.

I created the fonts automatically, from a sample rendered with FreeType,
using area each glyph uses. In this case, the $r has a very light blue
pixel at the topRight. I can modify the script to ignore pixels that are
too light when setting the bounds for the glyph, but I can not guarantee
perfect results unless glyphs are tweaked by hand.

> Secondly, can the sub-pixel AA be disabled on the fly? It leads to
> visible color fringes when the subpixel layout does not match your AA.

Sure. See Preference #subPixelRenderFonts.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich