[squeak-dev] Using Squeak to learn about high-level programming environments?

David Mitchell david.mitchell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 19:39:05 UTC 2009

If I wanted to understand things, I'd get to a small kernel.

I'd drop back to Mini-Squeak 2.2.
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/1998-September/013578.html

Yes the window system is old (even 1-bit black and white!). But, it is
very small and would highlight your capabilities list nicely.

You could try Cuis or a SqueakLight image if you are looking for
something more modern.

SqueakOS used to boot off a floppy:
http://lists.tunes.org/archives/tunes/1999-October/002363.html