[squeak-dev] Re: Separating Morphic and MVC

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Aug 7 04:56:46 UTC 2009

Juan Vuletich wrote:
> I'm willing to help. I can fix the issues in the Cuis text editors. Just
> point me to the last version of the new editors you have, and any
> instructions on how to update from the latest trunk.

Cool. I've posted both Editor and TextEditor from Cuis (verbatim
versions), added a DefaultEditorClass to TextMorph, and a preference to
control its use. If you go to help>>preferences then search for
useNewEditors, you can toggle the use of TextMorphEditor vs. TextEditor.

Also, I think your idea of having an explicit class SmalltalkEditor is a
really good idea. It allows us a number of useful choices: For example,
for someone shipping an app, you can replace the default morphic text
editor class with one that doesn't allow users to evaluate code in the
"find" dialog :^) Plus, the SmalltalkEditor could include hooks for
syntax highlighting and auto-completion so that Shout and others don't
need to patch all these other places.

BTW, I'm not sure what you mean by instructions on how to update from
the current trunk. It should "just work". If you are encountering any
problems please do report them.

Cheers,
   - Andreas