[squeak-dev] Release process

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Aug 8 22:01:51 UTC 2009

On 08.08.2009, at 22:59, Keith Hodges wrote:
> [...snip...]
> This decision has been made entirely due to the actions of the board,
> and the downright disrespectful behaviour of some of its members.  In
> particular no efforts were made to contact me in the 8 weeks preceding
> the announcement of this "new" (exactly the same mindset as before)
> process. Subsequently I have asked the board to discuss their terms of
> engagement, and since I have not had any sign of movement on this, I
> have had enough. I feel that way I have been treated is simply not
> acceptable.

> [...snap...]

I promised to you privately to bring this up in this week's board
meeting. I did, and we discussed it (alone, alas, as you refused to
join the meeting). The minutes went not really into detail, but it's
the second paragraph. The gist was that we do watch how the discussion
and contributions here unfold.

In the "8 weeks" you mention the board did speak to the Release Team
leader, which is Matthew. Maybe the release team list would have been
better - something to keep in mind for the future (or maybe release
discussion should happen on squeak-dev, we are too small a community
for too many lists).

The fact is that we did talk to the Release Team, but could still not
get a coherent picture of where the release actually was. The new
process you developed did certainly not get much traction in the
community. Perhaps it is too alien - as I said before, people do need
time to change their habits. And they might still adopt it, the trunk
model is not really in conflict with automatic image building and
testing, as you well know.

But we felt there needed to be a way to make contributing simple, and
have visible progress. The trunk model is a way to enable people to
again participate in the Squeak development process, and that seems to
work.

It's still not clear how an actual release will be derived from the
trunk. We were discussing it in the Board meeting, and opinions
differed. So discussion will continue, and we're hoping for ideas to
come from the community.

I for one would love to have automatic image building from the trunk,
and simply declare one of the automated builds to be "the one", after
an appropriate time of code slush and code freeze of course. But many
other models are possible, and you, as anyone else, is invited to
discuss them.

- Bert -