[squeak-dev] font problems (again)

Ralph Boland rpboland at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 06:30:20 UTC 2009

I am using Squeak 3.10.2 on  Ubuntu  9.04 (Linux)

I reported problems with fonts earlier.
Andreas Raab told me how to set the font of my text (thanks Andreas Raab)
which I have done.

However I still have two problems:

1)  I am setting color attributes to text which I see correctly.
     I am also modifying the display of some of the characters
     between  128 and 155 for use in displaying trees.
     However, I often do not see the changes I make to the characters
     and see instead the original accented characters for the characters
     I have changed (such as character 225).
     I have several times at this point perused the Internet for a while using
     Firefox.  When I return I sometimes see that my special characters are
     now correctly displayed.  Note this refers to text that I have
already displayed
     on a workspace.  Even though I am not redisplaying it the fact
that I am switching
     from one  X-windows window to another causes the correction to
occur.  Note also
     that in Ubunutu I have two completely different screens to choose
from and I
     have Squeak running in one and Firefox running in the other.
Only one is displayed
     at a time and the correction occurs when I switch from the screen
containing Firefox
     and the screen containing Squeak. This has occurred three times
now so it is
     partially repeatable.  I do not know what I have to do on the Internet to
     cause this affect.
     I am assuming that  X-windows needs some buffer flushed and Firefox is
     doing it but Squeak is not.  That is there is a bug in Squeak (or Ubuntu
     or X-windows) somewhere.
     Any suggestions as to what the problem is?  A fix?

2)  I need a fixed font for displaying my trees so I used
     (TextStyle named: 'DefaultFixedTextStyle') fontOfPointSize: 11.
     The problem is this font is not quite fixed although it is better than
     the fonts I used previously.  Is there a truly fixed font I can use?

Regards,

Ralph Boland