[squeak-dev] Services?

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Mon Aug 10 18:36:55 UTC 2009

On 10-Aug-09, at 6:21 AM, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

>> What am I missing? What are services good for? Where are they used?
>> Where should they be used? What is the motivation for including
>> them in
>> the base image?
>>
>> Thanks for any insights.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   - Andreas
>

> Services lets you add logic for dealing with external files and is
> useful ,
> but always I vote for downloading packages if later you could load
> again.

No, that's FileServices. (See the class FileServices, which not part
of the Services package that Andreas was asking about.)

IIRC, Services was introduced in Squeak 3.9 as a generalization of
FileServices, but hasn't been used much. It seems to overlap with
AppRegistry as well. I looked at using them in OmniBrowser, but they
didn't fit my needs.

Colin