[squeak-dev] Re: Hello / Quick Question

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Aug 13 06:39:20 UTC 2009

Simon Michael wrote:
> I added a class comment, fixed another and published the affected
> package (MorphicExtras) to source.squeak.org/inbox . Now I'll wait for
> developments.

Great. It's already in the trunk. BTW, I'm not sure if people notice
that but with the latest browser changes, you get effectively the first
line of each comment visible when you click on the class definition.
This works very well in cases like your AlignmentMorphBob1 comment which
then just says:

"A quick and easy way to space things vertically in absolute or
proportional amounts."

Just about perfect for a one-line description of the class. I like it a
lot. I think we should try to have such a one-line description as the
first sentence in each comment, precisely intended to be shown in the
browser when a user clicks on that class. You get more detailed info
when looking at the comment explicitly, but the one-liner is nice.

> - it skipped a version number because I first tried publishing to the
> wrong repo, harmless I assume.

Completely harmless. This happens all the time.

> - it uploaded a full snapshot of the package. Hopefully when someone
> reviews it for trunk they'll see just the actual changes.

Yes. The merge browser shows only the changes, so it's straightforward
to see what has changed. Even better, since you based your version off
the latest trunk, I could just copy it into the trunk even without
explicitly merging and uploading (which makes the process a little easier).

> - I found out what to do by scanning all recent mails from andreas. I
> hit all of the teething issues described in later emails. When we gather
> the essential info and a nightly image on a squeak.org download page,
> that will make it really easy for folks to jump in.

Nice to see it was helpful to you.

Cheers,
   - Andreas