[squeak-dev] Adding comments

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Thu Aug 13 07:41:01 UTC 2009

Thanks Andreas.

> that but with the latest browser changes, you get effectively the first
> line of each comment visible when you click on the class definition.

I'm guessing you mean that one line comment pane you get at the bottom
if the browsing -> annotationPanes preference is enabled.

> This works very well in cases like your AlignmentMorphBob1 comment which

I just added one word. I wanted to find out who wrote the original comment,
but here's an example of the second-class status of class comments I was talking about:
there's no ui-exposed way to see the history of anything but methods.

> lot. I think we should try to have such a one-line description as the
> first sentence in each comment

+1. Python has a similar policy and commenters may find their style guides worth a look:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008 -> Comments
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0257 -> Multi-line Docstrings

When I remember how much pain was involved in, eg, setting up nice fonts, having them magically arrive in the update
stream and just work was very nice. Ditto for manually pulling various package fixes from all over the place. I think
the new setup is a big step in making Squeak development fun again.