[squeak-dev] Release process

hannes.hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 15:13:14 UTC 2009

Keith Hodges wrote:
> Dear Elliot,
>
> I do understand about documentation. I might be a little facetious if I
> point out that "Installer" was probably the first piece of code
> published for squeak that I had ever seen any documentation for, and
> that was only because I wrote it.
>
> I mentioned the videos because they serve a couple of purposes, firstly
> they show that something is being worked upon, and the process of
> putting together the video is a helpful quality gate.

Hello Keith

you mention your Installer documentation.
I would like to ask you for the main entry point into the "Installer"
documentation.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=vss&client=firefox-a&rls=com.ubuntu%3Aen-US%3Aunofficial&hs=nLH&q=%22Keith+Hodges%22+Installer&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

(search for
    "Keith Hodges" Installer
)

gives 1190 hits.

It is surely not a bad idea to take a break from time to time. It would
be nice to leave some pointers behind you, so that other people might
take it on later if they think it is useful (which it probably is - it
was maybe just not the right time yet).

This trunk based system depends on having strong developers in the core
team and involves more manual work. However if people are doing it then
it is fine. And it is probably better for a major overhaul as Andreas,
Juan and Bert and others now have started. This is just a general
impression. I did not follow the development closely in the last two or
three years. However I am happy that they work on a 3.11 version which
really looks great with the new font system and which will keep the
'original flavor'.

It would be nice to see you contributing again in the future.

Regards
Hannes