[squeak-dev] Re: Inbox

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Aug 13 17:08:50 UTC 2009

Ken Causey wrote:
> I've added the Treated project.

Thanks.

> P.S. I have to say I did not find the discussion of the Treated inbox on
> the Pharo page at all clear.  It sounds to me like it says that an issue
> goes from the inbox into treated whether or not it is considered valid.

Indeed. It's just a way of saying "we've dealt with the issue". Just
like you can resolve issues in Mantis as "won't fix" or "no change
required" some of these may not actually end up in the final product.

> It then goes on to say that if it works it is 'published' to the Pharo
> project.  Am I to take this to mean that it is either moved out of
> Treated or deleted?  Also frankly, I don't understand what the word
> 'treated' means in this context.

It means "resolved". I'm familiar with the Monticello workflow so it
makes sense to me. Effectively, the workflow goes like this:
* You merge a package from the inbox and publish the merged result into
the trunk. Sometimes you can "optimize" this (when the package in the
inbox is a direct derivative of the last trunk version) and just copy
the package; but often you will not.
* Once you've published the merge in the trunk, you move the package
(which has now been integrated or otherwise been dealt with) to the
"treated" repository. This keeps the inbox small and simple while still
having a backup of the original submission in the "treated" repository.
* If the package is screwy in its original submission you move it to
"treated" as well, but let the original submitter know what was wrong
with it or how to improve it.
In either case, submissions don't litter the inbox forever, but get
dealt with quickly and moved out of the way to increase visibility of
new submissions.

Cheers,
   - Andreas