Bug tracking policy (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Trunk now Toolbuilderized)

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 14 13:16:12 UTC 2009

Michael Haupt wrote:
> Hi,

>>> I'd vote for mandatory reporting.
>>>
>> So if I notice a typo that was introduced yesterday, I'd not only fix it,
>> but also I'd have to open a bug report and immediately resolve it? Just
>> making sure I understand.
>>

> good grief. And I thought *I* had bureaucratic traits. :-P
>
> Who is the trunk for? For everyday users? I guess not. There should be
> stable releases that are fit for everyday use. Whoever updates to the
> most recent trunk version should be aware that there may be things in
> progress.
>
> The other way around, whoever uses the trunk image should update
> before doing anything else immediately after starting the image. That
> way, they always have the latest code - including bugfixes.
>
> As for reporting, I'd strongly opt for not having to report (and
> attach a changeset) every little thing I can immediately fix. Why
> should the fix be stored in two different places: the trunk, and
> Mantis? It's waste.

Putting fixes into trunk is a waste I agree, so what do we need the
trunk for again?
> On the other hand, if someone who is not a core developer identifies
> an issue, OR if a core developer finds an issue that is not easy to
> fix right away, it should be reported.

Core developers should be working on particular innovations, bounded
within certain packages and with documentation and deliverables. They
should not be let loose on the image indescriminately.
> This morning I removed an obsolete test case from the trunk, along
> with a method. This was not really a bug, it just was one of the
> reasons that the bar would not go green, but in no way an indicator
> for some fault in the code in the image as such. I feel awkward when I
> read I should have reported *this* as a *bug*.

It depends on what your test was for. Tests should be managed externally
to the image anyway, and integrated for test candidates

Keith