[squeak-dev] Re: Problem with typing Czech characters in Squeak 3.10 on Ubuntu 9.04

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Aug 14 15:14:12 UTC 2009

Michal Perutka wrote:
> I can type lower case Czech letters ě š č ř ž ý á í é ů ú - the keyboard
> keys with these letters works. But when I press a key with diacritical
> mark + some character key, I get only the character followed by a
> question mark, e? s? c? for example. So I am not able to type Czech
> upper case characters (like Ě Š Č etc.).
>
> Where is the problem ? In Squeak VM (I use last 3.10-6 version) or in
> Squeak itself? Please help.

I don't know too much about Linux input handling but it looks like a
mismatch between VM and image (i.e., that the VM is reporting two codes
that the image needs to merge and that the image doesn't really know
what to do with it).

To track this down, you might start by looking at the incoming events in
EventSensor (but VERY carefully; screwing up there is a great recipe for
a force-quit-restart cycle ;) and see if the event codes look reasonable
to you. Also check out the other input converters - some of them might
already be doing what you need.

Cheers,
   - Andreas