[squeak-dev] Re: Problem with typing Czech characters in Squeak 3.10 on Ubuntu 9.04

Michal Perutka michal.perutka at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 21:18:11 UTC 2009

2009/8/14 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>

> Michal Perutka wrote:
>
>> I can type lower case Czech letters ě š č ř ž ý á í é ů ú - the keyboard
>> keys with these letters works. But when I press a key with diacritical mark
>> + some character key, I get only the character followed by a question mark,
>> e? s? c? for example. So I am not able to type Czech upper case characters
>> (like Ě Š Č etc.).
>>
>> Where is the problem ? In Squeak VM (I use last 3.10-6 version) or in
>> Squeak itself? Please help.
>>

> I don't know too much about Linux input handling but it looks like a
> mismatch between VM and image (i.e., that the VM is reporting two codes that
> the image needs to merge and that the image doesn't really know what to do
> with it).
>
> To track this down, you might start by looking at the incoming events in
> EventSensor (but VERY carefully; screwing up there is a great recipe for a
> force-quit-restart cycle ;) and see if the event codes look reasonable to
> you. Also check out the other input converters - some of them might already
> be doing what you need.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Thanks.

So, in EventSensor>>processKeyboardEvent: I inserted  a line
Transcript show: evt asString; show: String cr.
(or I can insert that line in
ISO88592InputInterpreter>>nextCharFrom:firstEvt:, the result is the same)

Then, when I type á (=225), I get
#(2 2841355 225 1 0 225 0 0)
#(2 2841355 225 0 0 225 0 0)
#(2 2841506 225 2 0 225 0 0)

When I type acute accent key and then a (=97), first I get
#(2 2862057 180 2 0 0 0 0)

then
#(2 2872015 97 1 0 97 0 0)
#(2 2872015 97 0 0 97 0 0)