[squeak-dev] Re: Our process, some loose ideas regarding DS + MC

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Sun Aug 16 18:54:07 UTC 2009

Ralph Johnson wrote:
> Göran Krampe explained how DS gets loaded into two phases.  First, the
> Delta gets read from a file and turnd into an object in the image, but
> no classes are changed.  Second, the Delta is applied, i.e. it changes
> the classes.

Exactly. And the "apply" operation is performed by a visitor, by default
one that uses SystemEditor. So the domain model could be reused/ported
to a totally different Smalltalk. I think this is an ever more
interesting aspect - we have lots of Smalltalks these days :)

> Is DS going to replace .source and .changes?  I did not think it was.

It is not meant to - but I do think Matthew for example have noticed the
fact that it could be used to do that. I have not examined that area.

> I thought it was competing more directly with .cs files and, to a
> certain extent, with Monticello.

Yes.

> Thus, if you only want to load a
> program and run it, you won't need to keep the Deltas around once you
> have applied them.

Right.

regards, Göran