[squeak-dev] Re: Title bar bug on trunk

Ian Trudel ian.trudel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 20:35:28 UTC 2009

2009/8/15 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> Ian Trudel wrote:
>>
>> Another issue but with the trunk. I have tried to update code from the
>> trunk into my image but there's a proxy error with source.squeak.org
>> right at this minute, which causes Squeak to freeze for a minute or
>> two trying to reach the server.
>
> It seems to be fine now. Probably just a temporary issue.

However, I don't think such issue should entirely freeze Squeak. An
unresponsive UI isn't really the way to go.

>> Concretely, does it mean we are limited in the font sizes for any
>> given font loaded into Squeak?
>
> It just means we should limit ourselves. We can include more fonts but each
> takes a good chunk of memory (depending on point size) so we should pick
> them carefully. You might want to ask Juan if he can post a "full" set of
> point sizes somewhere that people can load and then we pick the three most
> relevant sizes ("small", "regular" and "title" font). The current set was
> picked by Juan and it works well for me.

The current set isn't bad at all, I must admit. The title is just a
point too big in my opinion. The fonts included are listed in World
Menu > Appearance > System fonts > List fonts ? Juan, is it
customizable?

>> Editing the workspace doesn't produce a change set nor monticello
>> recognize the change. I am not exactly sure how to push this change in
>> a monticello way. If you give me quick instructions, I will be glad to
>> do it.
>
> One of the weaknesses of Monticello. I'd recommend adding a menu entry in
> the help menu (or reusing the "about this system..." entry) to put up a
> workspace with the proper text. Then you can construct the text via:
>
> text := 'Here goes the red bold text.!
> ]style[(14 3 1 4 6)f1,f1cred;,f1,f1b,f1!' readStream nextChunkText.
> (Workspace new contents: text) openLabel: 'About this image'.
>
> To create the formatting for the text, simply inspect a workspace and
> execute:
>
> String streamContents: [:s| s nextChunkPutWithStyle: model contents].
>
> This should do the trick.

Now everything seems clear. My first thought was to save an image,
which isn't gonna cut it with Monticello. What you propose is to add a
button to open a new window, rather than providing a trunk image with
the license notice already present. It doesn't feel quite right.
Wouldn't it be possible to save a project and upload it to a
repository? Or, perhaps, we should have a container class to prepare
the trunk image, where a project could be stored.

> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Regards,
Ian.