[squeak-dev] Emacs as a conceptual entry point to Smalltalk

David Mitchell david.mitchell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 03:13:12 UTC 2009

> I have a question for the more experienced folks on the list: Is Smalltalk
> as well suited to the task of editing/refactoring/beautifying code in
> arbitrary languages as Lisp?

Don't know much about refactoring in Lisp, but the Refactoring Browser
was first implemented by John Brandt and Don Roberts for VisualWorks.
At the time, I think it was the only refactoring tool available.

They were just on the Industry Misinterpretations podcast. One of the
two commented that it was a design mistake in the first version to
build a separate GUI for refactoring. Later they integrated with the
default tools.

Squeak's refactoring tools were ported from this original engine.

Martin Fowler's refactoring book used Java for examples, but at the
time there weren't any refactoring tools available. The chapter on
tools was all Smalltalk.