[squeak-dev] Squeakfests were incredible (see for yourself)

Timothy Falconer timothy at squeakland.org
Mon Aug 17 13:19:53 UTC 2009

As I write this, I'm flying home from Squeakfest USA.  Sitting here,
staring at my laptop, I'm completely unable to find appropriate words
to describe the magic and friendship of the last few weeks.  So many
passionate talks, so many stirring examples, so many last minute
details and surprises.

I'm tired.  That much is clear.  Blame it on three conferences in four
weeks and roughly fifteen thousand miles of travel in between.  Were
it not for my many Squeaker traveling companions, I'd have curled up
to hibernate long ago.  Truly the best part of the last month has been
the company I've kept: Rita, Yoshiki, Marta, Kim, Scott, Alex, Bert,
Ted, Bill, Randy, both Kathleens, Avigail, and Milan. Sharing the
adventure with people of such talent and humor has truly been an
embarrassment of riches.

As for the presentations, workshops, and hallway talks, there's just
too much to say.  With dozens of sessions between the two Squeakfests,
my mind's a blur with memories of enthusiasm and insight, along with
strengthened motivation to support and expand our vibrant Etoys
community.

Rather than summarize my recollections, I'll instead point you to the
video on the Squeakland website (http://squeakland.org/resources/audioVisual/#cat865
).  Scroll down to Squeakfest Brasil and Squeakfest USA.  We managed
to capture nearly all of Squeakfest USA on our live webcast feed,
though we lost the first half of the presentation from South Korea.
Also, the final roundtable wasn't posted at the request of one of the
participants. My apologies for the audio problems on the first
morning.  If you start at the beginning, know that the sound does get
better.  Also, if the video screen is at times too hard to read, the
blame rests with the web stream, which reduced quality to improve
bandwidth.  We will be posting better video from both events in the
future, particularly of the children's workshop, so stay tuned.

I'd like to give a special thanks to Rita Freudenberg, our education
director, who earned the "most traveled" award for her trips from
Germany to both Brazil and Los Angeles.  When you total her air
distance, she flew more than 40,000 kilometers (25,000 miles), which
means she effectively circled the globe for Squeakland in the last
month.  Her insight, passion, and hard work in the last eight months
were instrumental in both Squeakfests.  As with her husband Bert, her
continuing efforts on behalf of the Etoys community are unparalleled.
Also a big thanks to Marta, Bruno, Kim, and Kathryn for tending to the
many details of both conferences.  Your hard work really showed.
Most of all, I'd like to thank everyone at Viewpoints Research
Institute for their time and talent in the last year.  Your guidance
has greatly helped Squeakland Foundation as we take and carry the
Etoys torch into the future.

Take care,
Timothy

Videos of both Squeakfests: