[squeak-dev] Re: Problem with typing Czech characters in Squeak 3.10 on Ubuntu 9.04

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Mon Aug 17 21:12:59 UTC 2009

At Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:18:11 +0200,
Michal Perutka wrote:

> So, in EventSensor>>processKeyboardEvent: I inserted a line
> Transcript show: evt asString; show: String cr.
> (or I can insert that line in ISO88592InputInterpreter>>nextCharFrom:firstEvt:, the result is the same)
>
> Then, when I type ? (=225), I get
> #(2 2841355 225 1 0 225 0 0)
> #(2 2841355 225 0 0 225 0 0)
> #(2 2841506 225 2 0 225 0 0)
>
> When I type acute accent key and then a (=97), first I get
> #(2 2862057 180 2 0 0 0 0)
>
> then
> #(2 2872015 97 1 0 97 0 0)
> #(2 2872015 97 0 0 97 0 0)
> #(2 2872015 769 1 0 769 0 0)
> #(2 2872015 769 0 0 769 0 0)
> #(2 2872191 97 2 0 97 0 0)
>
> and as result I get a?, not ?

  The VM appears to be sending the base character and the compostion
accent character.  Which itself is correct but the image side has to
do something.

  In the Etoys image, there is a class called
UnicodeCompositionStream.  If you stick "97 (= 16r61) and 769 (=
16r301) to that stream, you get out of the accented a.  And in the
Etoys image, the ParagraphEditor uses it to make the composed
character.  It should work ok.

  Alternatively (or along with it), you could turn on the Pango
renderer, which takes non-composed sequence and renders it properly.

-- Yoshiki