[squeak-dev] String>>expandMacros?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Aug 18 05:48:27 UTC 2009

Folks -

I was digging around in String for some Unicode stuff when I found the
"formatting" family of methods called #expandMacrosXXX (six methods
total). Interesting, I thought, I had never noticed these before, wonder
what they do. What I found was:

- Not a single comment.
- Not a single test.
- 1 (in words: one) caller.

Does anyone know where these methods come from? They have Marcus'
initials on them but it doesn't look like something he'd do (calling the
format description "obscure" is a putting it rather mildly) so I suspect
it may have been harvested from someplace else.

Usually, I would delete such methods instantly because:
- They have no comments.
- They have no tests.
- They have (virtually) no users.
- They duplicate existing functionality (format: - 84 users).
- They proliferate the interface of a class with too many methods already.

Can someone come up with a reason why we should keep 'em?

Cheers,
   - Andreas