[squeak-dev] Linux input testers needed (was: Re: Problem with typing Czech characters in Squeak 3.10 on Ubuntu 9.04)

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Tue Aug 18 05:55:08 UTC 2009

At Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:22:52 -0700,
Andreas Raab wrote:

> Folks -
>
> Armed with the input from Yoshiki, here is an attempt at addressing the
> problem of decomposed unicode input.

  Cool!

> I decided to do the handling a
> little differently from Etoys by providing a UnicodeInputInterpreter
> that does the composition in HandMorph since all the hooks were already
> available.
>
> [Yoshiki - out of curiosity, what is the reason why in the Etoys image
> this level of input conversion is not managed via the input interpreter
> but rather separately in ParagraphEditor?]

  One primary case is that when the "multi key" style input is used
(the user holds the "multi" key and hit a key to enter the accent),
the composition char may not come right after the base char; the user
could even move the cursor to a non-accented base char and hit the key
sequence to just enter the composition char.  Another case is where
the user pastes a string that begins with a composition character into
text, and I thought it should combine that with the character before
the paste point when possible.  (This second case is not that
important, I think.)

-- Yoshiki