[squeak-dev] Re: Title bar bug on trunk

Martin Wirblat sql.mawi at t-link.de
Tue Aug 18 15:05:24 UTC 2009

Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Yes it is. I suggest taking a look at Cuis, as it includes several
> additional sizes, including 11 (although not in bold). Before preparing
> size 11 (with bold, italic and bold italic) and adding it to the trunk,
> I'd like to know if people thinks adding another size is worth the space
> used. This is because it will take me one or two hours, and I prefer not
> spending that time if people thinks it is better not to include it.

Hi Juan,

the answer to your question whether more sizes of your nice font are
useful depends on their role. If they are thought to become the main
fonts in Squeak, then many more sizes are not only useful, they are
*necessary*. I have of course the bigger sizes in mind, at least up to
24 pixels. Declaring 9 pixels height as a standard coding font for
everyone is *unhealthy*.

For the many people here who do not understand the effect of small fonts
on computer screens: The world's epidemic spread of shortsightedness has
-among other things- directly to do with them. And it does not need
solely to be your eyes that become affected after many years of
professional work or starting too early with gazing at small computer
screens (XO!). Small fonts may also hit you in your back or cause
another chronic disease, because strong visual concentration leads to
tension elsewhere.

A post of Avi demonstrated this perfectly, perhaps unintentionally. What
is the most striking thing in this story about two young sisters?

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_405695.html

Hint - it is in the picture, of course.

One thing I found comparing fonts from Cuis with Pharo is that
especially the bigger sizes are spaced too narrow - see the attached
image of size 24 (the lower row is from Cuis). I suspect this has to do
with the lack of proper kerning. To me it looks as if at least 3 or
better 4 pixels of additional space would make the font in this case
more readable.

Regards,
Martin

PS: Congratulation to your Cuis work. When it comes to beauty, it
compares to the current Squeak like the brightest day to the darkest
night. Of course, Cuis has also other virtues...