[croquet-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] Second LIfe plugin API

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Tue Aug 18 17:30:42 UTC 2009

Howard Stearns wrote:
> Cool. What do you have in mind?
>
> Do you have any experience with the QuickTime media plugin?  How is it
> in general? How is it for streaming sources?
>
> The model for coordinating plugin activity across clients was not
> clear to me. E.g., if I fire up QuickTime for a movie, how do all
> other clients in the sim (that happen to have the plugin installed)
> get coordinated to the same place in the movie?
>

> Howard Stearns
> Qwaq: +1-650-331-1437
> mobile: +1-608-658-2419

The way it works right now (and in the future unless they change
things), a land-owner can set a "parcel media" URL which is the URL to a
streaming media server that will play on any local object that displays
a certain texture.

The plugin API extends that to allow for custom plugins to run, but only
in the context of the parcel media URL texture.

I can imagine many cases where a media plugin served from localhost
might be useful. It should be possible to specify localhost as a valid
url for media-on-a-prim (HUD at least) that is settable separately from,
or as an alternative to, the parcel media URL.
IOW, if I install a custom HUD with a localhost url as the parcel media
url, I should be able to interact with a private plugin
running/streaming on my own comp.

E.G. a seaside server on localhost doing all sorts of spiffy things that
I haven't thought of yet. The plugin API makes it easy to have a plugin
be part of the second life world, as far as GUI is concerned. I'm trying
to convince people to create another message/event mechanism to allow
more direct interaction with the SL viewer. IE, use Squeak as a
scripting plugin on the viewer side. One could use the media API to
provide a GUI and use the events API to send commands for generic
scripting of the SL viewer.

Lawson