[squeak-dev] binary development (was: 3.11 and the trunk)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Aug 20 00:45:06 UTC 2009

Colin Putney wrote on Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:25:21 -0700:
> On 19-Aug-09, at 10:15 AM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
>
> > For example, I would far prefer to
> > see Squeak move to a binary based development model (I would mention
> > Projects and Etoys here) than the current source based things we are
> > doing (trunk, bob or whatever).
>
> Forgive me for seizing on a throw-away comment like this, but would
> you mind expanding on this a bit? Are you saying you prefer something
> spoonish, where CompiledMethods  are passed directly from image to
> image? Something else?

Heh, I got asked about this on IRC as well. Though I had actually
started to explain this a little in the original email, I ended up
deleting it to keep on topic. With a new subject line I don't feel I
have to worry about that. Some details about this (with a few drawings)
can be found in the Chunky Squeak wiki page:

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/584

The idea is to be more like the Etoys users which can load binary
projects containing not only the code they need but also hand crafted
objects which have no source (like a drawing, some nested Morphs or even
some text). This is very simplistic compared to Spoon, and my proposal
was even more simplistic. In particular, this doesn't handle the case
where any changes to bytecodes or object format are needed.

-- Jecel