[squeak-dev] binary development (was: 3.11 and the trunk)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 01:00:32 UTC 2009

2009/8/20 Jecel Assumpcao Jr <jecel at merlintec.com>:
> Colin Putney wrote on Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:25:21 -0700:
>> On 19-Aug-09, at 10:15 AM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
>>
>> > For example, I would far prefer to
>> > see Squeak move to a binary based development model (I would mention
>> > Projects and Etoys here) than the current source based things we are
>> > doing (trunk, bob or whatever).
>>
>> Forgive me for seizing on a throw-away comment like this, but would
>> you mind expanding on this a bit? Are you saying you prefer something
>> spoonish, where CompiledMethods  are passed directly from image to
>> image? Something else?
>
> Heh, I got asked about this on IRC as well. Though I had actually
> started to explain this a little in the original email, I ended up
> deleting it to keep on topic. With a new subject line I don't feel I
> have to worry about that. Some details about this (with a few drawings)
> can be found in the Chunky Squeak wiki page:
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/584
>
> The idea is to be more like the Etoys users which can load binary
> projects containing not only the code they need but also hand crafted
> objects which have no source (like a drawing, some nested Morphs or even
> some text). This is very simplistic compared to Spoon, and my proposal
> was even more simplistic. In particular, this doesn't handle the case
> where any changes to bytecodes or object format are needed.

The central question, which arising immediately is, what is the
credible way(s) to reproduce such artifacts?
When we having a source code, we could (re)compile it on a different
system. But what you propose to do with pure binary data, a soup of
objects, in respect that it is incredibly hard to understand, what
bits you need and what's not, in case if you need to do clean-up ,
refactor, rewrite and simply analyze what is happening.
This is what making a huge difference, for instance, between
applications with open source code and applications shipped in binary
form - you can only report bugs, but can't realy make any suggestions
about what happening.
I don't think that developers of Squeak should be victims of such situation(s).

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.