[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Magma release 42

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez miguel.coba at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 06:20:20 UTC 2009

El jue, 20-08-2009 a las 13:54 -0500, Chris Muller escribió:
> I am pleased to announce a new release of Magma.  Release 42 brings
> unprecedented scale and availability of persistent domain models to
> Squeak users.  In particular, a single logical repository can now be
> served from multiple servers simultaneously, each hosting their own
> physical copy.  To maintain consistency, just one server receives
> writes and broacasts commit-records to "warm-backup" servers
> asynchronously.  The warm-backups ensure to keep themselves constantly
> up to date automatically.
>
> Individual servers in the "Node", even the primary, can be brought
> off-line and back on-line without disruption to clients.  Maintenance
> routines such as full-backup and compression may optionally be run
> while a repository is off-line, resulting in true 24x7 operation with
> no performance degradation due to maintenance jobs.  The more physical
> copies of a repository that are brought on-line, the more read-scale
> the overall Node will provide.  For more details, see:
>
>   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6101
>
> Scales up as well as down:  Magma retains it's existing ability to
> scale an existing, large, multi-user repository _down_ to a single
> user on a single laptop easily, without a single change to application
> code.  This can be very useful for diagnosing production issues
> without disturbing production.
>
> 42 one-click loads cleanly into 3.9, 3.10 and Pharo, and is supported
> on those images.
>
> For now, the Magma home page still resides at:
>
>   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2665
>
>  - Chris

Can I ask something?

You have a mcm for the complete magma tester set, r42final.

I'm loading magma with a script, using installer. The installer can load
mcm files and load each package on the mcm. But if I use the mcm for
r42final I get everything.
Could you also add mcm for the other sets, that is, the client set and
the server set of magma packages. Maybe something like:

r42-MagmaTester.
r42-MagmaServer.
r42-MagmaClient.

This will permit to load, using magma configurations, only the magma
packages needed.
Actually I use:

"Magma server"
Installer ss project: 'MagmaPharo';
  install: 'Ma exception handling';
  install: 'Ma base additions';
  install: 'Ma proxy support';
  install: 'Ma traverse object graphs';
  install: 'MaFixedWidthReport';
  install: 'Ma Statistics';
  install: 'Ma object serialization';
  install: 'Collections-BTree';
  install: 'Ma special collections';
  install: 'Ma client server';
  install: 'WriteBarrier';
  install: 'Magma client';
  install: 'Ma contextual search';
  install: 'Magma server'.

to get the magma server only. I compiled this list from the Magma Server
SAR file.

Thanks

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx