[squeak-dev] Offscreen drawing...

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sun Aug 23 08:34:22 UTC 2009

Is there a way to render into an offscreen buffer where the actual host
hardware's address is specified? I realize that at the level of
implementing the hooks for the VM, this must be possible, but is it
[easily] possible to redirect the memory space that Squeak renders to at
runtime, rather than during creation of the VM?

I'm trying to understand how one might use the shared memory space of
Second LIfe's media plugin to be the drawing region of a regular Squeak
Smalltalk workspace/drawing window. Being able to have fully active
Smalltalk-on-a-prim in SL would rock, especially if you could have a
choice of whether to work directly with the in-world rendering or with
the normal Squeak window's rendering.

The plugin can live in a separate process and communicate higher level
events via sockets and share memory for rendering so its not necessary
to have a fully standalone plugin. From the SL side, you could
conceivably have a regular Squeak development environment with the added
ability to use a specified hardware buffer instead/in addition to the
regular Squeak window. Sorta like what seaside sorta does, but without
the overhead of rendering via html.

Lawson