[squeak-dev] DPI awareness

Martin Wirblat sql.mawi at t-link.de
Sun Aug 23 22:29:10 UTC 2009

Juan Vuletich wrote:

> DPI awareness is not the way to do it.

This term is more a slogan from Microsoft than a way, but it has its
merits. Most developers are not really aware of the problem.

> And application zoom by the OS is a low quality workaround.

Yes, but most existing programs are in an urgent need for something like
that. They are simply not prepared for modern fine displays.

> The real solution is to forget about pixels and do real scalable UIs,
> like Morphic 3. Take a look at
> http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/TheFutureOfTheGUI_01.html and other
> entries in my page.

I know your project. You seem to place emphasis on the coordinate
system. However, for resizing natural pictures or smoothed icons you
will still have to operate directly with pixels. Especially with icons
this is problematic. Perhaps it is better to have a set of sufficient
sizes and choose the best match instead of trying to scale them precisely.

Another part of the equation is the structuring of programs. Only
windows and dialogs that are not overloaded with UI elements and text
can be scaled reasonably. And for that "DPI-awareness" is necessary.

By the way, the biggest obstacle Squeak has IMO for broader visibility,
is its UI library, the current Morphic. All power to brave UI developers!

Cheers,
Martin