[squeak-dev] Listing classes by hierarchy

Ralph Boland rpboland at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 06:49:29 UTC 2009

> Sorry, I misunderstood you. I'm aware of the HierarchyBrowser,
> however, I think it's really convenient to see the inheritance
> relationship in a package without opening a new window.

> Robert

I kind of have to agree here.  Usually when I open a HierarchyBrowser
what I usually really want is that it replace the current browser
carrying across any pertinent information.
I would find this very useful (though I suspect difficult to implement).
Of course one will want to have in addition the ability to open an
additional browser as is the behavior now.
Though I don't expect to see this feature any time soon it would
address to a small degree one of my difficulties: that is the tendency
to accumulate large numbers of code browsers over a short period of
time (often many are on the same class)  until the system
begins to slow down.
I then usually start over by closing all or nearly all code browsers.
Some kind of coder browser organizing utility would be great, although
I have no idea how it would work.
One of the great features of Smalltalk is the ease with which one can
jump about in the code. But doing this tends to pile up the code
browsers very quickly.  My strategy for this problem is the close most/all
the browsers when my mind is overwhelmed or the system slows down.
Everyone probably has their own strategy but tools to help the user
manage these code browsers effectively would be a great help.
I am not the GUI builder type so I don't want to propose solutions here.
Of course I am prepared to point out the failures of the designs of
others. :-)

Ralph Boland