Better senders/implementers UI (was Re: [squeak-dev] Listing classes by hierarchy)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Aug 24 11:24:37 UTC 2009

On 24.08.2009, at 08:49, Ralph Boland wrote:

>> Sorry, I misunderstood you. I'm aware of the HierarchyBrowser,
>> however, I think it's really convenient to see the inheritance
>> relationship in a package without opening a new window.
>
>> Robert
>
> I kind of have to agree here.  Usually when I open a HierarchyBrowser
> what I usually really want is that it replace the current browser
> carrying across any pertinent information.
> I would find this very useful (though I suspect difficult to
> implement).
> Of course one will want to have in addition the ability to open an
> additional browser as is the behavior now.
> Though I don't expect to see this feature any time soon it would
> address to a small degree one of my difficulties: that is the tendency
> to accumulate large numbers of code browsers over a short period of
> time (often many are on the same class)  until the system
> begins to slow down.
> I then usually start over by closing all or nearly all code browsers.
> Some kind of coder browser organizing utility would be great, although
> I have no idea how it would work.
> One of the great features of Smalltalk is the ease with which one can
> jump about in the code. But doing this tends to pile up the code
> browsers very quickly.  My strategy for this problem is the close
> most/all
> the browsers when my mind is overwhelmed or the system slows down.
> Everyone probably has their own strategy but tools to help the user
> manage these code browsers effectively would be a great help.
> I am not the GUI builder type so I don't want to propose solutions
> here.
> Of course I am prepared to point out the failures of the designs of
> others. :-)

Scott Wallace made a nice improvement to the regular senders/
implementers browsers. It reuses in the same window, and adds a
history pane so you can see how you got to a certain point, and can
back track if necessary.

This has not been updated since 3.8 I think, but if properly
integrated rather than as separate package it might be quite nice:

http://www.squeaksource.com/Green.html

- Bert -