[squeak-dev] binary development (was: 3.11 and the trunk)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Aug 25 02:35:10 UTC 2009

K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
> I meant a difference operator, not the diff(1) program. Change set browser is a
> good tool but is incomplete. It does not track and log all changes (e.g. class
> variables).

I meant the same thing, but mentioned the text diff program as an
example of what some people would like to be able to use. Back when
Smalltalk-80 used an object table it wouldn't have been that hard to
create a difference operator for binary images since objects never
changed their "oop". With direct pointers it is far more complicated to
decide that two objects in separate images are actually the same. The
best strategy is probably to start out with classes and processes and do
a breadth first search.

-- Jecel