Safe updating (was Re: [squeak-dev] Loading morphic-ar.162 fails)

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Thu Aug 27 22:08:57 UTC 2009

Now that's an interesting suggestion that had not occurred to me.  Is
there some way we could leverage this fact to avoid this sort of problem
in the future, it seems to have come up more than once already.

On the one hand perhaps the updating logic could create a new temporary
project and enter it before starting the update then exit and delete it
when the update is complete?  Alternatively could the logic do some
subset of what happens when a new project is entered but as effective
for this purpose?  On the third hand does atomic loading address this
problem more effectively and more directly?

Ken