[squeak-dev] Re: leadingChar proposal

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Aug 28 05:19:49 UTC 2009

Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>   One question is the roadmap; I would think ByteStrings will be
> retained for a while (or forever) but may be also phased out.  And
> also it would be nice to tag ByteStrings.  The natural order may be to
> try to move on to text attribute approach earlier so that the bare
> representation doesn't matter much.  How do you think about these
> things?

Interesting questions. I'm not sure what you mean by "tagging
ByteStrings" - generally my opinion is that String/ByteString/WideString
have the same reationship that Integer/SmallInteger/LargeInteger have.
In other words, a nice optimization if you can afford staying within
bytes but it doesn't really matter.

I would think the real next step in this area should be to remove the
MultiScanner classes and fold all of them into one hierarchy. This whole
area is currently very complex for no real benefit since there is no
measurable performance penalty when folding these classes.

Cheers,
   - Andreas