[squeak-dev] All Clear (Re: Hash changes)

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Tue Dec 1 06:03:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Folks -
>
> The updates went smoothly and I updated an image without problems. Looks like
> we're good. Couple of comments:
>
> - I was really impressed by the collection rehashing hack. I had not seen
> this before.
>
> - I'm actually thinking that we might want to keep the rehashing utility with
> a comment on how to use it. It looks like a really useful tool for doing this
> kind of stuff.

I wouldn't add it to the image, since it's rarely useful. But I have a
plan to set up a repository with various collections related stuff and
this could be available there.

> - Is there a standard way to deal with dog-slow tests (like searching all the
> source code of Squeak, running the decompiler on all methods)? These few,
> crazily slow tests make it virtually impossible to "run all test" after
> a consequence I've only run the collection tests.

I used to run all tests but Compiler-Tests and Traits-* first. When
everything seems to be ok, I run only Compiler-Tests and Traits-* in the
background. IIRC these tests are slow, because MultiByteFileStream is
really slow. Somehow we should improve it, but I couldn't find a simple
way to do that.

Levente