[squeak-dev] Re: Alternatives to SMTPClient?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Dec 4 08:18:17 UTC 2009

Danie Roux wrote:
>> Does anyone know an alternative to the SMTPClient from the Network-Protocols
>> package?
>
> Not knowing what problems you have with it[...]

The just-plain-broken kind of problems, like that SMTPClient sends AUTH
before HELO. Or that it doesn't include the domain in the HELO. Etc.
Things that (from what I understand) are well-defined by RFC 2821 and
indicate that SMTPClient has simply never seen much (if any) real use.

And since it's one of our first lines of communications when we're
unable to send email a whole set of things can't move forward on the
installation site, the customer is stalled, and when we *then* find out
that we have to deploy a custom patch for it, my boss gets seriously
unhappy.

That's why I'm looking for something that has seen a bit more usage and
successfully talked to a variety of MTAs.

Cheers,
   - Andreas