Universal Composition and modules etc (was Re: [squeak-dev] Embracing Projects)

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Fri Dec 4 13:29:25 UTC 2009

2009/12/3 Göran Krampe <goran at krampe.se>

> Lesson learned though: the environment and tools MUST follow at the same
> time.
>
> I also note that the same lesson has been re-learned regarding Traits...

I don't know that I would necessarily draw the same conclusion.  The
environment and the tools have evolved over decades with the current
Smalltalk meta model.  Moving the existing tools and environment forward
with things like modularity and traits requires a lot of time and heavy
lifting.  Perhaps the better approach is to simply chuck the old tools and
start over.  The approaches to modularity and traits are really new
languages and I believe the mistake has been in thinking that these things
could be easily grafted on top of the existing Smalltalk meta model,
environment and tools.

- Stephen