[squeak-dev] [Meta] Boolean#asBit discussion. What just happened here?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Dec 5 22:56:34 UTC 2009

On 05.12.2009, at 22:41, Jerome Peace wrote:

> Hi Sig, Hi Bert
>
> The original post surprised and confused me. Squeak (and Etoys) has had a #asBit message since 2004 (ajh 7/1/2004 timestamp).
>
> The response to the post was amazing. Very knowledgeable squeak guru's seriously discussing if it should be added as if it weren't there.

Hehe, that is funny indeed.

One of the problems is that the Method Finder was not update in years, so newer additions are not found. I'm sure Igor would have discovered the #asBit method otherwise. I simply relied on him.

Secondly, asBit is awkwardly named (even though Anthony and Igor seemed to have the same taste). The name I'd expect for the method is asInteger, and I did search for implementors of this before posting my suggestion, to verify it fits with the other implementations.

- Bert -