[squeak-dev] Re: Question on embedding native windows in Morphic

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Dec 9 06:32:47 UTC 2009

Brent Pinkney wrote:
> Is is possible to embedd a native application and its window in a Morph ?
> For example,  would like to have Firefox running in a a Morph.

Short answer: No.
Long answer: Yes, but the effort required is so excessive that unless
someone's paying you the big bucks it's not worth it. At Qwaq, we had a
custom version of Gecko for embedding into early version of Forums which
was very aptly named LightningDuck. For this we provided a harness that
would run Gecko, take events, render offscreen, and reimport the
rendered bits. But the build setup alone was maddening (have you ever
tried to recompile firefox?) and the code base is ... challenging.

What problem are you trying to solve?

Cheers,
   - Andreas