[squeak-dev] Re: How about... something completely different? (Re: Re: On traits composition)

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Wed Dec 9 10:58:58 UTC 2009

Hi!

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Hi Göran -
>
> Unbelievable. You basically just described the very idea that started
> this whole traits thing. When Nathanael worked with us at Disney, the

Ah, interesting. Well, it is not *that* unbelievable given that everyone
of us probably have had thoughts in these directions over the years.

But it *is* interesting that an idea starting in *object* composition
ends up being realized as a kind of MI. I wonder how that journey evolved.

> traits direction came out of discussions where we wanted him to think
> precisely along the lines you're describing. My original thoughts on
> this matter was that I wanted to have something more like (biological)
> cells - entities that are made up of smaller things (objects), that have
> an inside and an outside (made up of other objects instead of
> abstractions like the interface/implementation distinction), that
> forward signals (messages) to the appropriate receptors etc.

Right. I now reread the Membrane thing from Ted btw (I read it a while
back) and yes, a lot is similar, but still different... He talks about
parts being *very* "aware" of each other (feels slightly odd). He also
describes the Membrane to "just be a Dictionary" which also feels odd,
why not a full object?

But yes, interesting - distinguishing "self" from "whole" is
interesting, although I immediately find it questionable from some
undefinable "gut feeling". :)

regards, Göran