[squeak-dev] Image Versions (Re: Trunk image size)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Dec 11 14:34:14 UTC 2009

On 11.12.2009, at 14:41, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Friday 11 December 2009 02:44:10 pm Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Nothing. Really just that we'd have to decide whether the next version
>> is going to be called 3.11 or 4.1 (i.e., 4.0 MIT/SFC + trunk). From my
>> perspective the "trunk" nomenclature relates to work in progress; it can
>> either be based on the last or the next version and does't make much
>> difference.
> Why not use odd minor numbers for trunk versions (e.g. 3.11) and branch out
> stable versions to even (e.g. 3.12 or 4.2) minor number and then bump the
> trunk to next odd number (e.g. 3.13 or 4.3).
>
> Subbu

Independent of how to assign version numbers ...

IMHO instead of branching for release we should do a feature freeze and code freeze, maybe for 2 weeks, call the result a release, and then continue the happy hacking. Otherwise the burden of releasing again falls onto too few people. We should *all* be working towards a release together. The actual releasing would take nothing more than packaging and uploading.

- Bert -