[squeak-dev] Where's the beef? (Was: Re: [Newbies] [semi-OT] (fwd) Re: What Killed Smalltalk?)

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sat Dec 12 08:59:40 UTC 2009

To continue and extend my rant in response to this thread, here are
examples of Books I'd Like to See for Squeak/Pharo:

Books like these:

http://www.greenteapress.com/semaphores/downey05semaphores.pdf
http://www.greenteapress.com/compmod/

http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/

Articles like these:

http://www.amk.ca/python/howto/sockets/

http://nehe.gamedev.net/

http://rubylearning.com/satishtalim/ruby_threads.html and
http://rubylearning.com/satishtalim/ruby_socket_programming.html

http://www.boddie.org.uk/python/XML_intro.html

interfaces like these:

http://www.spiderland.org/

etc.

Without these kinds of materials available specifically oriented towards
squeak/pharo use, your average beginning/intermediate programmer is NOT
going to find squeak/pharo all that attractive.

Another area lacking (where squeak should shine above all others) is in
the voice-over demo/tutorial on youtube arena. A youtube video of
VNC-based pair-programming on a beginning/intermediate level problem
using squeak could be very compelling, I think. This would be the poor
man's version of my idea about a web-cast of a live pair-programming
session. Actually doing the live webcast, complete with mutli-channel
chat/feedback/comments/questions and then making it available the way
Metanomics interviews are, would be a very good teaching/marketing tool
for Smalltalk. A primitive example of this is found about 2 minutes into
this science friday video:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fWPwOLJFA8

People have devised web-page playback of the video synced with the local
chat discussion without the distracting superposition of the text chat
on top of the video image, which could be very useful in a
teachingseminar context, I believe.

Lawson